"Date Knight" is a new episode of Pencil 2.O, and until recently, there has been neither number nor date associated. In this episode, Sio goes on his first date, but through Pencil's coaching he is in for a surprise.
- Mrs. Anhboa: Alright, class dismissed.
- Map: Do your thang, dude, ask her out!
- Sharpener: You got this in the hole, bro!
- Sio: Are you sure you're supporting me? Because you're sounding like you live on hairspray.
- Lego: Exactly, we just heard these lines in films. Besides we know you love her.
- Sio: Come on! Just because she's the only other person in the school whose independent research project was on the mechanics of mechanics, doesn't mean that—I mean, true.
- Sharpener: I'll take notes to reread at university.
[Sio goes up to Kop Holema, who is talking with friends.]
- Kop: Hey, Schreiber?
- Sio: Holema! What a surprise!
- Kop: Listen, I have a question for asking you.
- Sio: What is it?
- Kop: Would you like to go out with me?
- Lego: Say something!
- Sio: Yeah!
- Kop: We can start a group-text tonight.
- Sio: Yeah!
♫ On the road we go,
For the facts we know
That the Hyvers we'll intrigue!
Along we sing
To this marching thing;
Later we shall join the Small League! ♫
- Javier: Yeah!
- Pencil: "Ja?" Thet's all you could say? Did you drink German juice er somethin'?
- Sio: Of course! We already know each other, so what've I done wrong?
- Pencil: You, me son, don' know the rules o' datin' correctly.
- Sio: There are no rules! Are there?
- Pencil: There are if y'wants to be guaranteed an 'appy and successful relationship. I remember when I'd got me h'own firs' little date—'E was a student from th'I'ory Coas', Thingo Marin.
- Sio: Thingo? So there was a before Dad!
- Pencil: Oh, 'twas nothin'. We h'only were out fer a few minutes on New Years' Eve 1999 to prove we could date in two millennia an' then we were back ter 'atin' each other again!
- Sio: Mum?
- Pencil: Goodness, where was I? Aye, y'know 'o'd be the bes' person to teach'ee h'about datin'?
- Sio: Who?
- Pencil: Yer grandpa! Me father taught me mum all the proper processes in courtin' a lady.
- Sio: I thought he was in England.
- Pencil: Thet's why 'e's written a book! Mwongozo wa Kijana wa Kutenda Kama Muungwana.
- Sio: Grandpa's an author? Was his book ever good?
- Pencil: No, people don' tend to like'e when you says thet their tendencies are "barbaric" an' "unfit fer the real world". I can get'e fer free at Grandma's 'ouse tomorrow, though.
- Sio: Yes! Thanks, Mum!
- Pencil: Wait, a little 'elp—
[Exit. At the same time, enter Pen and the younger kids.]
- Pencil: Aw, 'ow're me little softball stars doin'?
- Yaretzi: Amazing!
- Pen: They're hitting the ball in the right direction now!
- Pencil: Perfect! [to Pen] Now will'ee get me out o' this thing, Thingo?
- Pen: Thingo?
- Pencil: I means, me asali
[He undoes the knot on her.]
- Pen: Of course, I got your back. Is this the last uniform?
- Pencil: No, 'ts the firs'. I can't knit, like, at all!
- Pen: Did you learn off the Internet again?
- Pencil: Aye.
- Pen: Maybe that's why.
- Pencil: Wot?
Later that nightEdit
- Saye: Yes I am! ... Yes I am! ... Sorry, Chocolatey, got to go. In the presence of the elderly.
[She hangs up.]
- Sio: Oooooooh!
- Citlali: What did Chocolatey want?
- Saye: She has a date tomorrow night.
- Sio: Really?
- Saye: And she's all yelling at me that I'm not mature enough to make fun of her like that! Everyone, am I mature?
[A. R. I.]
- Saye: Thanks, that helps. So what are those?
[She points to the seven finished shirts on the table.]
- Pen: For the softball game I'm coaching tomorrow.
- Saye: Did Mum make these?
- Pen: Better. She got them from Nile Prime. Instant delivery!
- Saye: I didn't know there was a softball game!
- Zorah: We've been talking about this for ages!
- Pen: We're playing the Hyvers.
- Javier: Dad found out there's another big family at our school so he challenged them to a game of softball.
- Saye: Why not baseball?
- Pen: Golf Ball says it's "too dangerous".
- Saye: I'm just piסד.
- Yaretzi: Peeved.
- Saye: Peeved. I am totally ready to go on a date and Chocolatey is so wrong.
- Pen: Date? Who talked about a date?
- Saye: Omg, please don't be like those dads who go all bubble wrap on their daughters dating.
- Pen: Don't worry, I'm not that kind of... bubble wrap?
- Saye: It means "protective".
- Pen: Then I am.
- Saye: Dad!
- Pen: I'm sorry, but I can't let any daughter of mine go dating! There are a lot of guys out there, and you know how they are at that age...
- Saye: But what about you? What were you like when you were fourteen?
- Pen: I was still trying to figure out who the heck I was!
- Saye: This is so unfair!
[Saye storms off to her room.]
- Javier: You really won that argument.
Friday, September 20Edit
- Kop: Sio, can I talk with you?
- Sio: Yeah?
- Lego: Ooh, she called you by your first name!
- Kop: If it's okay with you, we should talk to each other on a first-name basis, as they say.
- Sio: Sure thing, Holema—I mean, Kop.
- Kop: Also, I am finding this really good Namibian restaurant we can go to. It will be very nice.
- Sio: Really? I've never had Namibian food before.
- Kop: Neither have I. As they say, "Pick you up at 8!"
- Sio: How about we just meet at the restaurant?
- Kop: That makes more sense.
- Pencil: 'Ello, you're returned early!
- Sio: You've got the book?
- Pencil: E'en better! It's the author's edition, meanin' I can read the little footnotes at the bottom!
- Sio: I'm still shocked Grandpa wrote this.
- Pencil: Well 'e needed somethin' to do whils' 'e's stationed in the West. You've got a restauran' planned yet?
- Sio: Yeah, she's taking me to a Namibian restaurant.
- Pencil: 'Ow nice, Namibian! I thinks yer Aunt Match's got an ex-boyfriend from there.
- Sio: Of course she does.
- Pencil: Listen, Sio, this book 'ere's got a lot o' stuff in'e. I'm not sure if I can teach'ee h'all o' this in three hours.
- Sio: I've got such a solution!
- Pencil: Oh, I can't wait to see wot me little technology person's come up with.
[He pulls out a small green square.]
- Pencil: Wot'n'ale's thet?
- Sio: A green tooth.
- Pencil: Aye, I've 'eard o' thet before!
- Sio: See, I put it on my under my cap like this...
[He does so.]
- Sio: And you talk into that microphone!
- Pencil: The one yer dad uses to sing opera 'nto?
- Sio: Yeah, but say that into the microphone.
- Pencil: Can I get a please up 'ere?
- Sio: Please?
[She speaks into the microphone and Sio runs out of the room.]
- Pencil: Aye, yer dad can really be the tenor—where'n'ale's'ee goin'?
- Sio: Wow, I can hear you all the way from there!
- Pencil: Success! Sio, jus' a question. Are'ee one 'undred percent sure you wants to do this? You're very well bein' yerself, y'know.
- Sio: I do want to do this. If it worked with Grandma and Grandpa, it'll work with me and Kop.
- Pencil: Kop?
- Sio: First name.
- Pencil: Ah.
[Enter Pen and the others.]
- Pencil: Oh! You're 'ome! I thought you'd be h'at the field all day.
- Pen: We were, but...
- Ximena: I got to know how Nooshint Island ends!
[She turns on the TV.]
- Javier: It's pronounced "Nutrient" Island!
- Announcer on the show: And the winner... will not be decided today due to a delay in production. See you TBA!
- Ximena: No!
- Salvador: You mean we came back here for nothing?
- Qalam-Rassas: I wanted to run around the field!
- Pen: And now we walk back!
[Exeunt the kids.]
- Pen: [to Pencil] Saye not home yet?
- Pencil: No, she texted. "Goin' on a walk around the town", wote'er thet means.
- Pen: She's still mad at me, eh?
- Pencil: I would too, she's told me. But good luck out there anyway!
- Sio: Yeah!
[Pen closes the door.]
- Sio: They'll need it.
[Pencil laughs, then points at the book for Sio to read.]
- Sio: Right, and I'll need this.
- Sio: How many kilometres is this?
- Pencil: Me phone says "0.1", no, wait, it's updatin', now it says... wow thet's a lot o' calories.
- Sio: Why exactly are we here and how did you get her address?
- Pencil: A mum-gician ne'er revealeth 'er tricks. An' y'know, the book says'e to be the proper thing to do's to geh'n pick up the girl so you can meet the parents, yeah?
- Sio: Okay, bye, Mum!
- Pencil: Don' remember—
- Sio: 'Kay, I'll hear you later!
[Pencil walks away.]
- Pencil: Aw, someone los' their pet rock!
[Sio looks confused because he could hear that.]
- Pencil: Now geh up there an' ring the doorbell.
- Sio: She hasn't got a doorbell!
- Pencil: Okay, knock!
- Sio: Right.
[He knocks on the door. Kop opens it.]
- Sio: Kop! How wonderful it is to see you!
- Kop: Yes, it is wonderful to see you too. What do you do here?
- Sio: I decided that the knightly thing to do is to pick you up, and we shall go to the...
- Pencil: ... Namibian restauran' together.
- Kop: [confused] Knightly?
- Sio: Or as ye Dutch say, ridderschap.
- Kop: Yes, I suppose so. If you are playing, that's right.
- Sio: May I step inside and meet your parents?
- Kop: No. They aren't here now. They're at a reunion.
- Sio: That's interesting.
- Pencil: Totally interestin'.
- Kop: It is a reunion concert for the Bread and Baker Selection.
- Sio: Cool!
- Kop: [singing, off-key] Bird. Dove-bird. White dove-bird. Bird. Bird.
- Sio: That was...
- Pencil: Swell!
- Sio: What about your younger brother?
- Kop: Oh, at the laboratory being tested.
- Sio: So that Namibian restaunt, eh? It would be terrible if I walked you so far.
- Kop: Fortunately, I have an extra bike for you!
- Sio: Great!